the aim of the architect was to create a semi-transparent, irregular canopy, simultaneously protecting visitors from the elements while allowing them to remain part of the landscape. the delicate quality of the structure, enhanced by its semi-transparency, has created a geometric, cloud-like form, as if it were mist rising from the undulations of the park. from certain vantage points, the pavilion will appear to merge with the classical structure of the serpentine gallery, with visitors suspended in space.
the youshing polycarbonate sheet used in the project were cut in to circles and semi-circles of different diameters, and used together with fine steel bars to form the envelope of the structure. the lightweight nature of the polycarbonate sheets allowed for minimal framework construction, optimizing the enclosed area for seating, standing and contemplating.
complying with the necessary building fire and safety regulations, polycarbonate was a natural choice. the clarity of pc sheets as a roofing material in this application creates a space where the occupant has protection from other elements without feeling enclosed and is able to enjoy the green space of hyde park, set within the expansive urban environment that london is.
easy to form and versatile, pc sheets enabled the fabricator to cut intricate shapes, and allowed the architect to create the cloud-like design.
all materials used in the pavilion had to be proven as sustainable. pc sheets employed in the project are long lasting, weather resistant and are highly desirable for recycling into second life applications.
as a temporary structure, one of the critical needs for material selection is that it can be re-used or recycled. at the end of the visitor season, the pavilion will be deconstructed, sold on (either as a whole, or in part), so every constituent element must be reusable or recyclable – polycarbonate definitely meets this criteria.
- Stainless Steel Pipe Catalogue 2017-02-06
- Polycarbonate sheet Catalogue 2017-02-06
- FAQ for PC sheet 2017-02-08
- How to install the ASA sythetic tile 2017-02-07
- Yougao Polycarbonate Solid Sheet Optical Grade 2017-02-06
- ASA sythetic tile Catalogue 2017-02-06
- Polycarbonate crystal hollow sheet 2017-02-06
- Application for polycarbonate sheet 2017-02-06
- What is the features of ASA sythetic Tile 2017-02-07
- Canopy Catalogue 2017-02-06
- Greenhouse series Catalogue 2017-02-06
- How to install the PVC roofing sheet 2017-02-06
- PVC roofing sheet Catalogue 2017-02-06
- FRP roofing sheet Catalogue 2017-02-06
- What is the usage for the PVC roofing sheet 2017-02-06
- What is the features of PC sheet 2017-02-06
- How I can cut the PC sheet 2017-02-08
- Development trend of plastic building materials 2017-01-04
- the serpentine gallery pavilion 2013 2017-02-08
- Zhennai products solve the problem for roofing corrosion problem 2017-02-08
- How to clean the PC sheet 2017-02-08
- Caport Catalogue 2017-02-06
- FAQ for ASA sythetic resin tile 2017-02-08
- Greenhouse Restaurant 2017-02-11
- polycarbonate anti-drop sheet used widely for agriculture greenhouse 2017-02-08